Parcelify Shipping Rate Calculator
Your customers like to be informed. The more they know about what products they are ordering and what they will be charged, the more likely they are to proceed with a purchase when it’s time to pay. That’s why Parcelify provides a shipping rate calculator you can put right on your cart page.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know to enable, install, and even change the position of your rate calculator to better match your customer’s preferences.
Well informed customers means less abandoned carts for you, and less abandoned carts means more revenue to grow your business, so let’s dive in!
- If you already have Shopify CCS enabled, you will be brought directly to our app page. Great!
- If you do not have CCS enabled, you will be presented with our service selection screen. Our rate calculator will work without CCS, so if all you want to do is show it on your cart page, click [Select] under Parcelify Storefront
The easy way
Once you are on our app page, scroll down to the section that says Storefront Components and locate the component that says Shipping Rate Calculator
- Click [Install Shipping Rate Calculator]
- An install modal will appear - look at the bottom of this dialog
- If the [Do it for me] button is active, click it to complete installation
- Otherwise, continue reading through the next section:
The custom way
Adding our shipping rate calculator to your cart page involves adding a little code to your theme. Our [Do it for me] button will only work if we are perfectly confident we can edit this code without messing up your cart page. Luckily, you’ll find that doing it yourself isn’t difficult, you simply have to tell us where you would like the button to show!
- Start at your checkout page. Make a rough note of how things are laid out. Think of it in terms of major landmarks. You have your navigation bar at the top, your cart information in the middle, and your checkout button at the bottom Keep this page open! It will be useful in a moment
- Click [Edit Theme] if you still have the Parcelify install dialog open
If you closed the install dialog, that’s okay!
- Navigate to your Shopify admin page
- Select your Online Store
- Click the ellipses next to the large green [Customize] button
- Click Edit code
- Since our rate calculator is designed to work on the cart page, start by typing
cartin the search box in the top left
- For most themes, you will find a file with something similar to one of the following names in your sections folder:
If you find a fairly long file (100+ lines) with several references to words like cart, quantity, taxes, you are likely in the right place
- Here you can get creative. Start by putting the code snippet right at the top of this file and click Save
- Go back to your checkout page and click your browser’s refresh button. If the rate calculator shows up anywhere on the page, you certainly have the right file selected
Even so, having a rate calculator hovering somewhere in the top-left of the checkout page will look out-of-place on most themes, so proceed to move the code snippet down in your theme code until it looks right
- (Optional) Since most merchants prefer their rate calculator somewhere near the checkout button, you can try searching your code for
cart__submit-controls(or something similar) to get your roughly in the right place
That’s all there is to it!
Please keep in mind, this feature is in beta so we look forward to any feedback you have to give. If you run into trouble or simply have suggestions about our rate calculator, please reach out to us at email@example.com